What are the Benefits of a Resin Bound driveway?
Resin Bound driveways are fast becoming a surfacing type of choice because of their many advantages. They offer a more appealing, elegant and natural feel as opposed to concrete and block paving driveways which give a dull and rigid feel.
The versatility of resin surfaces means that they can be overlaid on existing concrete or tarmac surfaces to create a strong and durable driveway. It come in various colours and shapes and offer more in terms of pattern and textures meaning that every user will most certainly find what suits him best.
Resin is used for various needs such as for resin patios, resin pathways and resin pavements.
As opposed to other flooring types which are neither flexible nor permeable, they are permeable and so water can drain through without forming puddles on the surface. They are also UV resistant and so are more durable and will not discolour.
Concept of Resin Bound Driveway
A resin bound driveway is a flooring type that is made by a mixture of polyurethane resin and aggregate stones overlaid on a solid sub base to create an aesthetic and durable surface finish.
The Key Benefits of a Resin Bound driveways System
In this section we will discuss 6 big benefits of installing resin bound driveways. The list here is not exhaustive but to give you a tip of what you stand to gain by choosing a resin bound surfacing for your home.
- They are SuDS compliant. Their surfaces are porous unlike other driveways and so are permeable. Thus, surface runoff just drains into the ground below meaning that there are no puddles on the driveway.
- You will not also need a supplementary drainage system since drainage is very effective giving its smooth surface finish.
- The longevity and durability of bound resin is another very interesting advantage it has. When properly maintained, they can last more than 20 years. They do not even need periodic surface sealing like concrete driveways to preserve them.
- When overlaid over a solid base such as a concrete or tarmac, they will neither swell nor sink making it hard wearing while also being visually appealing.
- Once installed, all it needs is a quick pressure wash every now and then to keep the surface looking new.
- One reason why they are durable are because of their ability to withstand adverse weather conditions. The ability to maintain its structural integrity and smooth finish even in extreme weather conditions as opposed to concrete and asphalt driveways makes it to standout.
- The most important benefit is that they are cost effective and economical when compared to other driveways.
- For instance, resin bound driveway cost between £40 and £70per m2 depending on the proposed driveway location and other factors while a block paved driveway costs between £20-£105 per square meter depending on the material used while the concrete driveway will cost about £50.
- While there may not be much difference in the costs, the advantage comes with the fact that resin bound give you good value for money as they offer other qualities which are non-existent in other driveways.
- You will not need to do much on maintenance as is found with other flooring types; meaning that a homeowner can have a durable, stunning and hard wearing driveway at an affordable price.
- Installing is very easy and can be completed within 1-2days and walked upon after 6 hours of being laid. After 24 hours, cars can begin to ride on them.
- As long as the existing surfaces are in good shape and can easily be laid on them.
- Additionally, resin driveway installers near me can be undertaken as a DIY (do it yourself) project unlike other flooring types such as tarmac, asphalt and concrete driveway. This means that if you are physically capable, you can install your driveway by yourself.
- There are DIY resin kits which are pocket friendly and can be used to lay a driveway.
- In fact, a DIY resin bound system contains enough materials you will need to install a new resin drivewayof about 1 metre² area.
- Unlike other driveways, they are UV stable (meaning it does not damage easily in sunlight) are able to maintain their colour and appearance without discoloration for many years.
- They are made with aliphatic polyurethane resins unlike resin bonded driveways which are made with aromatic polyurethane.
- This material helps them to retain quality for many years, remaining stable in the presence of sunlight without fading.
- The way they are made- mixing the stones and the resin mixture followed by compaction means that the surface is bound together but still having some flexibility. This flexibility prevents the surface from cracking or being displaced.
- For instance, for a concrete driveway of between 100 sqm2 and 150 sqm2, you will need about 25 liters of sealant depending on the condition of the driveway. With this, you will save such time, energy and resources.
- In addition to being crack resistant, they are frost resistant being able to withstand several freeze/thaw cycles without being damaged neither is its strength compromised in any way.
Durability and Hardwearing:
Quick And Easy Installation:
Colour Stability (UV-Stable Resin)
Crack and Frost Resistant
Contrastingly, concrete surfaces can crack overtime because of the rigid nature of the surface which necessitates periodic surface sealing to maintain it.
Cost of Bound Driveway
The table below shows the average cost of installing a bound driveway;
|DRIVEWAY SIZE||AVERAGE MATERIAL COST PER M²||LABOUR COST PER DAY||TOTAL ESTIMATED COST|
|Small driveway 20 m²||£40||£150-£250||£950-£1,300|
|Medium driveway 50m²||£40||£150-£250||£2,150-£2,500|
|Large driveway 100m²||£40||£150-£250||£4,150-£4,500|
Which Should I Go For- Resin Bound Or Resin Bonded?
While both are good, the resin bound is much better.
They are UV resistant and so will not discolour on exposure to sunlight over time unlike the resin bonded driveway.
They are permeable allowing for surface runoff without needing an additional drainage construction, the surfaces of resin bonded driveways are not porous and so will need a supplementary drainage channel to prevent puddles on the surface. And for this, you will need a UK planning permission to construct one.
The table below compares resin bound surface to resin bonded surface based on certain qualities.
|Category||Resin Bound||Resin Bonded|
Reach our Resin Bound Driveway Specialists
For you to have the best of installations for your driveway, you need to contact experts. Not just to install the driveway but also to provide you with quality materials to do so. Our firm is a leading Resin Driveways UK expert with many years of experience and having laid over a combined 1000 meters of driveway and patios for different clients.
Our team of skilled resin bound technicians in Liverpool and the rest of the UK understands your needs and will ensure you get the very best. The resin surfacing solutions are SUDS compliant and come with a 20 year guarantee. We ensure that we use the highest quality materials and DALTEX UVR resins to give you premium , pathways and patio designs at very affordable prices.
Reach out to us today on our helpline 08082737505 for a no obligation quote and let’s give your outdoor space the stunning finish it deserves.