Why Resin Bonded Gravel is so Popular?
There are many reasons why the resin bound gravel is becoming increasingly popular among homeowners and among real estate developers. Some of them include its complete permeability which means that it complies with the government SUDS regulations. It’s also visually appealing, very hard-wearing and has little maintenance requirement for homeowners.
Resin Gravel Types
However, as we delve into the subject matter, we would like to mention that resin gravel are of two types which can be easily mistaken for the other.
- Resin Bonded Gravel
- Resin Bound Gravel
Both forms of resin gravel are very different and we will briefly explain them, their advantages and disadvantages.
Resin Bonded Gravel
The process of installing a resin bonded gravel involves applying a thin layer of resin directly onto a surface which may be acting as a base. This can be a concrete or asphalt base and then the gravel is scattered unto the adhesive. Excess gravel is then swept off the surface after curing the resin.
Because only one side of each single stone will bond to the surface, the depth of the finished surface will typically be the diameter of the stone used.
Therefore, the resin bonded gravel is a very weak system when compared to the resin bound gravel as the gravel isn’t bound together to the resin rather only one side of the stone bonds to the resin surface.
It is therefore not a recommended resin system as it is not very durable.
Advantages of Resin Bonded Gravel
- Cheap to install
- Durable & Robust
Disadvantages of Resin Bonded Gravel
- System has Low strength
- Non-permeable surface and so not SUDS compliant
- Stone will become loose with time and fall off
Resin Bound Gravel
The resin bound gravel system is far superior and involves mixing the resin together with the aggregate stones. The depth of the layer will be between 12mm and 24mm depending on the gravel used. The stones are thus fully immersed in resin and bind together with the resin. The result is a smooth and durable solid surface which is also permeable allowing water to drain through the surface.
The resin bound gravel system is thus recommended owing to its far more durability and hardwearing property.
However, it is a more expensive resin gravel system. This is because more quantities of gravel and resin are needed and it also takes longer time to install. But you have real value for money as you enjoy a stronger and better installation that stands the test of time.
Advantages of Resin Bound Gravel
- The system has high strength
- Very durable
- Fully Permeable and so SUDS compliant- Due to its permeability, it has excellent draining properties which means that water can go through the resin leaving no puddles on the surface. This can be very advantageous in cold winter months as this feature greatly reduces the risk of pools of water freezing into ice which can be dangerous.
- Stone will not become loose and fall away
- Low maintenance requirement
- Visually appealing
- Unlimited resin driveway ideas- This system provides you with a wide range of resin drive colours which means that you will certainly find a gravel that perfectly suits existing structures in your property.
- Versatility- resin bound gravel can be combined in a variety of creative ways to give a really stunning aesthetic for your property which adds that unique personalized touch for your home.
Disadvantages of Resin Bound Gravel
- Installation is generally more expensive than resin bonded gravel
In order to get the best out of your resin bound gravel installation, we encourage you to;
- Choose the right driveway installation company which can guarantee you the best for your driveway.
- You use the right type of resin and aggregate stone size for your installation. We recommend using the UV stable resin as it can last longer without discoloration.
- Use the driveway according to its original purpose. It is not proper to subject the driveway to loads greater than its capacity
- Carry out periodic cleaning of the surface to get rid of oil stains and weeds so that your driveway surface continues to look immaculate.
Why We are Best?
- Our company has 30 Years of experience in the driveway installation industry
- We give you 100% 15year-guarantee on all installations
- Company is fully insured and fully licensed.
- We provide our clients with a free quotation for their projects
- You can be sure of professional workmanship from our team of highly skilled and expert installers
- We offer excellent customer service and rapid response to enquiries
- We carry out a thorough inspection of your
- Full site survey to determine the best installation for you as well as a thorough ground preparation
- We source for and use materials of the finest quality
- We utilize the latest polymer technology for our installation which produces even more stronger resilient bonds
- Expert creativity and designs from craftsmen
- Personalized and unique designs for our clients
- Low maintenance
- Resistant to weed growth
- Oil and petrol resistant
- Flexible surface making it frost and crack resistant
- Colour stability over time due to the UV stable resin used in the process.
Get in Touch
If you would like a free quotation for driveways or project, you can contact our resin driveways Sheffield and driveways Liverpool office via the helplines on this page. We are happy to discuss your project with you and visit your property for a professional inspection. You can be sure that we will give you the best which will leave you very satisfied.
For more information or enquiries, you can fill out our free online enquiry form or call us on 0808 273 7505.