What Type of Material is Best for Driveway?
There are different UK driveway ideas which come with different colors, pattern stamping, decorative borders and sculptures from which one can choose from. You can be sure to find your taste with these modern driveway ideas- one that will complement existing structures and add elegance to the entire property.
Layout Ideas For Resin Surfaces
The following are resin surfaces ideas in the UK you can consider:
Stone Blocks With Grass Patches:
Here you can lay stone blocks with grass in patches in a way resembling a chessboard. The stone blocks and green patches can be of the same size while you may also leave a little space around the boundaries so that grass can grow in a linear pattern. This driveway idea however needs regular trimming of the grass to prevent the blocks from being damaged.
Brick driveway with Anti-slip:
You can also have a full brick driveway which will provide traction for vehicle tires and avoid skidding while also durable. The bricks can be used in a pattern or sideways on the substrate. The gaps between the bricks can be filled with concrete to prevent weed growth.
Gravels can also be used for your driveway. Gravel comes in various colours- yellow, brown, white or gray, which can be used to create a pattern of coloured stones. If there are surrounding garden areas, then it should be maintained to complement the driveway.
Driveway Canopied by Greenery:
This is an ideal driveway idea if there are several overgrown trees in your front yard. The driveway can be laid with gravel, concrete, asphalt or any other suitable material. The trees with excess growth are then trimmed in a way to leave the canopy created by the different trees with a wide gap running between them. This should give a well shaded driveway for pedestrians and cars.
Different Driveway Materials- Pros and Cons
The following are different driveway materials which can be used for driveway installation, their strengths and weaknesses.
Asphalt driveway comes in different types- recycled, coloured and stamped, tar and chip which can be used based on the look of your house and other existing structures.
- It is very durable and can last a minimum of 10 to 15 years.
- It has a hardwearing surface which resistant to cracks even in cold weather
- It is relatively cheap to install
- There is ease of repair
- With a professional finish, it looks elegant and adds to curb appeal
- It is not very much available in a variety of colors
- It can be damaged due to heavy rains or accumulation of rain water on the surface if not well installed
- Maintenance of the seal is quiet on the high side
- Tire marks and dents can appear on the surface especially in the summer as a result of its flexibility and malleability.
Concrete is one of the most common materials for driveway installation due to its durability and hardwearing property. The variety of colours which can be used to stain the concrete creates different concrete driveway designs.
- Surface finish is smooth and uniform.
- It is aesthetically pleasing and complements the existing architecture
- It can be stained with different colors to create a unique design
- It has an excellent temperature control even in very hot summer months
- Concrete driveway is ideal for areas with high rainfall.
- Cracks form on the surface overtime which may need removal or periodic resealing of the surface
- Initial installation costs can be high
- Overtime, it is not cost effective
- It can be stained by oil drops reducing its beauty
- Can be difficult to excavate if you need to lay pipes or cables underground. Proper pre planning is therefore important during installation.
Blocks come in various patterns and colours which can be blended in creative ways to create a refined look for your driveway. Block paving is also a common driveway installation style.
- It is easy to get block materials that will compliment the exterior of your home.
- Blocks come in a wide range of designs, patterns and colours.
- It is very durable
- It is easier to repair as you can take out the damaged blocks and replace them without having to replace the entire driveway.
- Due to their flexibility, they hardly crack
- Block paved driveways allows water to drain through into the ground
- The blocks are available in various thicknesses, sizes and strengths which allows you to choose your desired blocks based on the traffic.
- It is quite expensive and also takes a lot to time to install
- Installation is best carried out by professionals
- If the quality of the sub-base is poor, the driveway will not last long
Resin driveways are becoming increasingly popular for homeowners due to its aesthetic finish, durability, anti-slip and anti-crack properties, as well as its SUDS compliance. It can be resin bound driveways or resin bonded driveways. We recommend the resin bound driveways and here is the reason why:
- When properly installed, it will last for a long time.
- Curb appeal is enhanced by professional and contemporary finish
- Drainage is not an issue as water drains through the surface
- It is impervious to weeds
- Easy to install
- With the right resin, it will not discolour on exposure to sunlight
- Maintenance requirement is low
- Comes in a large variety of colours
- Although it can be undertaken as a DIY project especially if no preparatory groundworks are required, it is better to be installed by professionals as it has a lot of technicalities.
Gravels have been used for constructing driveways for a long time now and have continued to stand the test of time. They come in different coloured stones of different shapes, sizes and texture which are used for different purposes.
- It is cheap to install
- It is a cost-effective driveway option
- Installation is fast and can be used immediately
- It is simple yet sophisticated
- It needs regular maintenance to get rid of moss and weeds
- Stones can be easily scattered
- Sinkholes and ruts might appear after long term usage
- It is not as durable as some other alternatives
There are different materials which can be used for your driveway project. Each material has its strengths and shortcomings. Having broken these down for you, you would find it much easier to make a choice on the material to use.
Common factors that will guide you should include- intended use of driveway (heavy or light traffic), cost of installation, durability, maintenance requirement, SUDS compliance, ease of installation, overall cost effectiveness as well as aesthetics. For light-weight or low traffic, thin blocks or asphalt can be used. For durability, resin driveways or concrete should be your choice. High strength para blocks also have a long life. For flexibility, ease of maintenance and SUDS compliance, then we recommend resin material. For cheap and easy installation which can be used immediately, then you can go for gravel.
Reach out to our resin driveways Liverpool office via our helplines 08082737505 to discuss your next project and get a free quote from our professional installers.